I'm Shu Li. Pleased to meet You.
design is my passion
I’m a digital product designer with broad experience spanning web, mobile and desktop applications.
I hold a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Graphic Design from Drexel University’s Westphal College of Media Arts & Design. During my studies I became interested in the design of digital products and have since developed a deep interest in user experience design (UX) and a passion for crafting beautiful, intuitive and delightful user interfaces (UI). I also enjoy bringing my designs to life through code and modern prototyping tools.
In addition to product design, I often take on the role of product manager, creating alignment within a product team and orchestrating the transition from design to prototype to finished product.
I believe design and technology can be forces for good in the world, and enjoy working on products that empower people and help them do their best work and live their best lives.
Have a project you think might be a good fit? Let’s chat.
Practice Makes Perfect
Design. Test. Iterate.
Drive + Passion.
Technology is progressing faster than ever and we are living through a period of unprecedented progress and innovation. Even within the realm of design, the tools of the trade have changed significantly in recent years and I am constantly learning new tools and methods so as to deliver the best possible results for clients and end users. I enjoy working with people who share my passion and have the skills, vision, and work ethic to keep pushing the limits of what is possible.
Experience + Execution.
My journey as a designer started in my sophomore year of college, when I interned at a tech start-up as a graphic designer. I later joined a multi-disciplinary product design agency where I honed my skills in user interface design and developed a deeper understanding of user experience and the human factors of product design. I had the opportunity to work on both mature, existing products and also to design exciting new products from scratch, and to remain involved as those products moved from design to prototyping to building and then ultimately launching.
Education + Perspective.
I’m originally from Chengdu, China. I lived in the US for six years, where I earned a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree from the Westphal College of Media Arts & Design at Drexel University in Philadelphia, and then held my first full time design role. I was a hard-working student and was as part of the Honors Program throughout my academic years. My native tongue is Mandarin but I also speak English fluently. I am currently back in China, but my experience of living and working in the US continues to inform my thinking and allows me to bring a unique perspective to my work.
Knowledge is everything
While my current focus is on product design, my academic training is in graphic design, where I gained deep knowledge of things like typography, branding, packaging, animation, video editing and story telling. Whether it’s a logo and business cards, ad campaigns or marketing collateral, or an email newsletter or landing page, I am able to help, and often do all of these things and more as part of my product design work. For a product or service to succeed, people need to lean about it, after all.
Design is not just what something looks like. More importantly, it’s how it works, and also how it will be built. A successful design begins with an understanding of the user and the user journey, while taking into account all the relevant constraints, whether they be product constraints (such as screen size) or business constraints (time, budget, resources, market demands). I help you navigate the design process and arrive at a design that delights your customers, and makes sense for your business.
The most successful products are those where there is a healthy, on-going dialog between designers, developers and all other business stakeholders, including the customer. A good design should take into account and be informed by engineering constraints, and the product always turns out better when the designer remains engaged throughout the build process, actively testing the product, soliciting feedback from other stakeholders and course-correcting when necessary.
- Graphic Design: Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, Figma
- Print Design: InDesign, Pages, Illustrator
- UI Design: Sketch, Figma, Framer X
- Prototyping: Figma, InVision, ProtoPie, FramerX, Principle
- Motion & Animation: Hype, AfterEffects, Apple Motion.
- Video: After Effects, Premier, Screenflow
- Presentation: Keynote, PowerPoint, Google Slides
- Proficient in HTML5 and CSS3, including CSS animations and transitions.
- Experience working within React Native and Electron projects.
- Familiarity with git and popular git hosting platforms.
- Native speaker in Mandarin (Chinese)
- Fluent in English
- Proficient in the use of modern project management systems (Asana, JIRA, Basecamp, GitHub, etc)
- Proficient in the use of modern communication, file sharing, and collaboration tools (Slack, Zoom, Skype, Dropbox Paper, Airtable, etc)
- Familiarity with popular CMS, Website and Ecommerce platforms (WordPress, SquareSpace, Wix, Ghost, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc)
- Familiarity with popular email marketing platforms (MailChimp, Sendgrid, Constant Contact, etc)
- Familiarity with popular analytics platforms and custom event tracking (Mixpanel, Google Analytics, Facebook, etc)
- Familiarity with online advertising (Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc)